Tuesday, June 19, 2007

From the Retro Files - The J Word

In an effort to make up for my lack of posting this past year, I'll occasionally hop in Doc Brown's Delorean and insert updates about my whereabouts in a retroactive fashion, starting today.

Our first blog pulled from the Retro Files has a lot to do with my disappearance from the webernet: my job. When I uprooted from California and blindly arrived in Colorado, two of my goals were to not only keep this blog current as a way to keep myself in the writing habit, but to also start dipping my feet into the freelance writing realm. In regards to both, I pulled a Munson. But only because I began spending the majority of my days in Boulder working for the Enthusiast Group.

Instead of risking the freedom, riches and fame that a freelance writing career might lead to, I decided to instead sign up for some stable indentured servitude as the Content Manager for their grassroots sports communities: YourClimbing.com, YourMTB.com, YourCycling.com, YourRunning.com, etc. My responsibilities range from general community oversight and website development to writing content and producing videos.

It's a start up with a lot of potential sparked from a great idea (I won't go into details - if interested just check out the website). It is the outdoor industry, though, so while I get to work within my passions everyday, the market is frustratingly thin and fickle. And sooooo behind the eight ball when it comes to web utilization. (The industry's manufacturers, NOT the users.)

So that's been the target of my focus, long hours, mental energy and the reason behind having time for little else. I'll post more of the work I've produced here and there in the future. In the meantime, enjoy this funny anecdote and video from a climbing competition I entered last month:

Competition round up at the USA Regionals in Boulder, CO

YourClimbing.com sent Brett Merlin and Neal Young to the USA Climbing Regional Championships at the Boulder Rock Club in Boulder, Colorado. This is their story...

No comments: